IC100 ToughMet is an investment cast version of Materion Corporation's popular ToughMet family of copper-nickel-tin bronze alloys. SAE International has issued specification AMS 4863 for IC100 ToughMet.
ToughMet is available from Materion in the form of wrought plate, rod, and tubing products. IC100 ToughMet delivers the attributes of wrought ToughMet but investment cast into precision near-net-shapes. IC100 ToughMet provides engineers with new options to:
- Design complex shapes with internalized features
- Combine multiple components into a single piece casting
- Minimize the need for secondary machining
- Reduce the mass of components
ToughMet is a spinodal-hardened bronze alloy with a unique combination of stiffness, strength, and lubricity that improves the reliability and performance of components in applications under heavy loads. For example, ToughMet bushings may last three to five times longer in the field than equivalent steel bushings do. ToughMet is ideal for use in demanding applications such as bushings, aircraft landing gear, airfoil controls, and other operational situations that require:
- High strength and stiffness to handle heavy loads and stresses
- Very low friction and minimal wear
- Corrosion resistance High galling resistance for movement of parts
- Excellent machinability
In addition, ToughMet exhibits stable properties over a wide range of temperatures and operates safely for an extended period of time in the event of lubrication failure. IC100 ToughMet exhibits excellent machinability and does not contain lead, beryllium, or other hazardous materials.